Wednesday, June 4, 2008

shedding vs molting

Let's consult the dictionary:
Shed - to cast off or let fall (leaves, hair, feathers, skin, shell, etc.) by natural process.
Molt - To shed periodically part or all of a coat or an outer covering, such as feathers, cuticle, or skin, which is then replaced by a new growth.

Okay I'm officially going bald! Not really - I don't have patches or need Rogaine by any means. But seriously my hair is falling out in astronomical proportions. At what point do you become alarmed? Just curious. I mean I've always lost hair - but this is getting actually scary. When I was in Cali my mom was like "WHOA! Jamie that's a lot of hair on the bathroom floor! You should see a doctor. You know Grandma Close was bald. They can fix it BEFORE you go bald." GREAT! I really should pay more attention to family members. In my defense, she passed away when I was 10 - so who really pays attention then.

And what...do I just walk into my doctor and say - I may be going bald? Feedback welcome.

7 comments:

kristi lee said...

Go see the doc already. . .have them check your blood. Really. . .just go!

Unknown said...

i'll be it's just a seasonal thing. unless it's an all the time thing...in which case, i don't know.

Jan said...

I definitely would just go and ask about it -- they can likely do something to help. Like Kristi said - just do it.

Holly O. said...

Yes, I'm with Kristi...please go get it checked out.

Heather said...

I'm with everybody else, go to the doctor!

Jori said...

It could be weather or a vitamin thing. Stress makes me lose hair. On my mission I lost a butt load.

Keri Lee Sereika said...

I tend to agree with everyone else, make an appt with your dr...it could be a sign of poor nutrition/deficiency and you need to have it checked...so how was dance last night??? :)