Saturday, March 3, 2012

Life

I haven't blogged in awhile because I haven't felt all that clever lately. I've been busy with work, and just busy being.

On Leap Day this year, I spent the evening with people I've known for a very long time, laughing and talking about a guy we know called Derek Moore. He passed away last week. For as much as I hadn't seen him in a very long time, or considered him a close personal friend, I spent a lot of work time with him when I was much younger, his death has shook me to the core. Sometimes work "families" are a powerful thing. This is certainly the case of my very first job at Norwest Financial. Most of the people I worked with all still keep in contact, though for me it's mostly through Facebook these days. Most of them actually all still work together, which I absolutely love. Derek was a great guy. He was kind. He was really really funny. He was only 33 years old. He will be missed.

I've spent the past week reflecting on my own life and how much of my time is wasted. I need to regain some drive in my own life and seek out goals, and fun, and adventure. Now, if you asked me what I'm up to - I'm most likely to say something about work. BORING!! Seriously I feel like I've lost the fun side of my life somewhere along the path of this growing up nonsense. I plan to re-discover it again. Even if it's simple things at first. I plan to use Derek's passing as a wake up call to live. Even if you didn't know Derek, and you need a reason to do something similar...let this be that reason. Life is certainly too short to not enjoy what you're doing, where you're doing it, and who you're doing it with. Tell people you love them often. You just never know.

1 comment:

Marsee Family said...

Thanks for sharing this. We all need a wake up call every now and again.