Thursday, March 6, 2008

Zicam is of the Devil


So here's the truth, and nothing but the truth (so help me God).

Monday morning, after being deathly ill for 2 days I started taking this drug called Zicam. My mom had said she heard it worked great for colds and flu. Shortened symptoms, etc. Great, now there are Urban Legends about Wonder Drugs? Just what we need. But - after the dizzy, aching, freezing symptoms - a shorter symptom record was sounding pretty glorious. *insert track from Willy Wonka singing 'i've got a golden ticket' here*

Well I got this box full of these things. I'm not really keen on sticking things up my nose in the first place. I don't know - I think somehow it's going to touch my brain or whatever. But it's this box full of Q-Tip like things dipped in medicinal goo. You break the seal, swab the inside of your nose, dip the swab back in the medicine and repeat on the other nose-hole.

If, without being reported to the NY Journal of Medicine, I could take a picture of the chaos that is my nose - I totally would. This morning I woke up with COLD SORES! (ya that's right) lining the inside of both nasal cavities. As if being sick isn't horrible enough!?!?! I should sue their asses.

Apparently I'm allergic to one of the following:
Zincum Gluconicum 2x
Benzalkonium Chloride
Glycerin
Hydroxyethylcellulose
Purified Water (my money's on this one - haha!)
Soldium Chloride
Soldium Hydroxide

Anyway, Buyer beware! Now on top of being ugly because I'm sick, now I really am...just ugly. With Shanks growing from the inside out of my nose! ps - they're not really shanks, but for those of you that know me...I do love to use that term whenever possible. (Note: a Shanker is an STD. Lovingly nicknamed Shank by my Sophomore year health class. For some reason it never lost it's humour!)

New side note: I just went on their website and submitted the following story:
Your cold remedy gel swabs actually gave me cold sores on the INSIDE of my nasal cavities. Now, on top of being sick...I have the added bonus of nearly swollen shut nostrils and having to cringe with pain when I blow my nose. Fantastic work on that one!

I'm not sure, but I'm hoping the sarcasm comes across on that one :)

10 comments:

Becky, yep said...

That's horrible...good for you for telling them! I can't imagine how your nose must hurt!

Jan said...

I've tried them and I didn't get cold sores (I have those on my own right now already -- yuk!) but it didn't change a thing. Except that I was poorer. So much for Zicam.

Holly O. said...

Does it look like goiters in your nose?

Suzie said...

you definitely conveyed sarcasm necessary for your complaint.

and I'm real sorry for the raw nose.
yikes

Heather said...

That really sucks Jamie! I'll know never to use that one. Why is it that we can treat so many life threatening diseases, but we can't cure the common cold?? Don't know. But I hope you feel better soon. Wnen you are feeling up to it, let me know some of your favorite places to eat/go in the wild NW.

jen said...

ok my mom so totally swears by that stuff and it didn't do squat for me. i don't know what form of it she uses but she says you have to take it the second you feel the cold coming or its too late. email her and she'll fill you in, lol. i used the chewy kind and it really wasn't as nasty as you would think.

your poor nose. you aren't supposed to stick things up there Jamie. it's just wrong, lol.

Anonymous said...

Oh msn!!! Sorry about the Shanks!!! I had those same symptoms you are refering to last Friday! Hope you are feeling better soon and get back to your lovely self!

Anonymous said...

opps! I meant "Oh, man!" Not "Oh, MSN!" such a typing dork, I am!

Jori said...

Holy Crap! Thanks for the warning. Skanks any place is never a good idea. What a minute I think you said Shanks. Well Skanks get shanks. Not that you're a Skank. Well you know what I mean.(heehee) I hope you feel better. The medicine company better send you a present for all of your trouble.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Projetores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://projetor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.