Thursday, August 28, 2008

Attention Employees

Yesterday was quite the dramatic day at the office! Before I forget the specifics I should really blog them.

Let's start at the very beginning (if you just sang that and finished up with "a very good place to start" from Sound of Music...bonus points to you!) I work for a company called Prism Papers. Since we're still fairly new-ish, we borrow office & warehouse space from a Paper Distributor in Salt Lake City called Zellerbach. They're quite nice to let us borrow, and we get included in on all their office shenanigans.

We have quite the zealous receptionist in the office. Her name is Janet. This woman is my mom's age and likes to treat me sometimes like I'm the daughter she never had. She wants to know my BIZ about boys...what the latest is...and give me dating advice. Anyone that knows me, knows I love to tell stories about my horrible dating life experiences - but when it comes to people I actually like, I'm really quite reserved. I digress... So Janet loves to be in on the action. She will literally get on the PA announcer on Fridays and say, "Attention Zellerbach Employees, IT'S FRIDAY" and then proceed to hold the PA up to her stereo blasting Kool and the Gang Celebrate or some song by the Beach Boys. You gotta love her enthusiasm! (or do you....)

Anyway, yesterday around 2pm the following page comes over the loud speaker:

"Attention Zellerbach Employees. Please stay inside the building, and especially don't go out by the docks. Thank you".

Let's face it - I don't even know where the DOCKS are but I wanted to jump off my seat and go find them because there had to be something great going on.

30 seconds later, next announcement:
"Attention Zellerbach Employees. Please stay inside the building, and again don't go by the docks. Explanations will follos. Thank you."

2 minutes later, next announcement:
"Attention Zellerbach Employees. All is well. Please stay inside the building, but if you have to leave for appointments, etc you are able to come and go. But don't go by the docks as there are a lot of cars."
(so...we can leave the bldg if there is an appt? I'm confused. And we're on lock-down because of the swarm of cars by the docks? I mean cars are scary, but really?)

So I think that was the last announcement. The drama was this guy wandered into the warehouse to have us call the cops as he was arguing with some people about a stolen bike and apparently he had a gun. He actually told our warehouse guy to call the police. Nothing dramatic, but turned into drama all thanks to our receptionish who likes to pretend she's IN THE KNOW and keep people thinking she's in charge.

ps - thankfully she also doesn't read this blog! MUAHAHAH!
pps - No one was hurt and like 6 cop cars showed up and took the guy away in handcuffs.

2 comments:

Jan said...

I'm cracking up at this story - but at least the guy got led away in handcuffs by cops. That's a good dramatic ending, anyhow!

Create It Simply said...

Too bad you don't know where the docks are...might have been some hotties hauling him off ;) Glad it was nothing major after all.