Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Luckiest

Lately I'm obsessed with Ben Folds. Can't get enough. I think that if I ever decide to get married (don't hold your breath people) this would be the song I would have at my wedding.
Plus it reminds me of all the reasons I am lucky.

1. Family - even though I don't seem them a ton. I see them enough and couldn't be more lucky with my amazing brothers and parents. And don't forget the cutest nephew in the whole world (this picture just proves my point. Apparently he wore these goggles swimming for about 20 seconds and then walked around in them for about 20 minutes. And approved the picture - so, as Jake states "he clearly thinks they're bad ass")
2. Friends - this year I've really struggled with my friendships. I know as we get older we grow apart, etc but it seems I've put stock in very selfish people to be my friends. That being said - I am thankful for my friends who love me without rules or expectations. Who I can get together with and just laugh and laugh and laugh. Who I look forward to seeing and doing things with. That getting together isn't a chore. I am lucky to have these people in my life and you know who you are.

3. I'm lucky that I'm so weird. Seriously this used to be a curse. A lot of people never truly "get" me. Most of that is my fault because I don't really open up to that many people. But for those rare few that get to view me in all my weirdness glory....prepare to be amazed. HAHA. JK, but really I do love that I'm not a cookie cutter type person. I think life would be boring for me like that. I'm lucky that I challenge authority and think for myself and don't follow rules in life. Dance to the beat of my own drum (which is usually of beat anyway - did you know I have the worst rhythm?) One of my best best best girlfriends from middle school caught up with me on Facebook and I told her what I'm up to and her reaction was "I'm so glad to hear that you're the same free spirit I knew when we were 14". Seriously made my day.

4. I'm lucky because I'm free. Living in America is great. Lucky to have men and women who fight for our freedom. And while I could never be one of those people - I sincerely appreciate the sacrifice made. As big a fan I am of Pride & Prejudice, Emma and the likes of Jane Austin type books/movies. The real thought in my head is - I would probably be shunned from society or something because of my very vocal opinions. I am lucky to live in day and age where I can be opinionated and a woman. It might not be popular with the gentleman callers - but I still CAN is the point. haha.

All in all - I'm quite lucky. And if you're reading this blog - it means I know you somehow and am lucky to know you too!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

that's one of my favorite ben folds songs, too! one of my favorite songs in general, i'd say! i love your weirdness & think you're one of the funniest people i know. someday we'll hang out again in our rainbow socks and eat hot fudge. and listen to ben folds. ;) xoxo!

Jan said...

Natalie said it - I love that Ben Folds song too!!

And I think you are wonderful. Just so you know.

kristi lee said...

for reals...one of the funniest people around is hark-a-lark!

hate that i'm self proclaiming myself as a chore friend. still bummed about the trip that didn't happen.

i'm lucky to know YOU!!

Samantha Martin said...

OMG - that is an awesome post! I have to admit that I am a little tearbally (you know I am a mush!). I seriously feel so lucky to have you as my friend and I ADORE the crazy Jamie. DON'T EVER CHANGE or I will have to sign us up for a "Recapturing the Weird 101" class!