Saturday, September 18, 2010

Ritual de la habitual

Today was my big HURRAH with Melissa.

Ever since college - she has been our ritualistic friend. She finds meaning in everything and it's so fun to watch her put effort into traditions. Partly it probably started as just another excuse to never study (her GPA that first semester wasn't too much better than mine), but they've become something to mark key events in life over the years. Today was no different.

Out of the magic bag came the following:


First we had to take the drink - and while making a wish, pour a little pixie stick in it. (Back in the day it was Diet Coke in giant mugs we had to walk off campus to get the caffeinated stuff). She poured hers in first. Then I poured mine in while wishing *i can't tell you what i wished for - it'll ruin the magic* I know you had to be there for the following, but my drink started fizzing over with the addition of the pixie stick. I was like - what the...WOAH! And Melissa gets this look on her face and is like "THAT MEANS IT'S GOING TO COME TRUE!" haha. We laughed forever until we cried. Seriously I'm crying right now as I write this it was so funny. I love that girl! We can just get together and be so silly. Then we asked the magic 8-ball questions.
Q1: Will Jamie get promoted in a year? - A: It is decidedly so
Q2: Will Jamie fall in love with a gorgeous man in Portland A: YES
Q3: Will Jamie love her new home? A: Reply hazy, ask later. Followed by a No. haha.
There were more but those were the highlights.

Then we put on our fake tattoos - something we've always shared. We upgraded this time to the cute girly ones, as opposed to the usual 25 cent ghetto ones with giant snakes wrapped around hearts, etc.

Then we went to Thai food - that is literally 3 seconds from my house that I never knew about. Delicious! and then went to see the movie The Switch. (loved it!)
We're planning to get together one last time because we weren't ready to be TOTALLY goodbye behaviour.

Thanks for the fun day girl! Since we get asked all the time if we're sisters - I'm officially adopting you as the sister I never had. Love you!


2 comments:

kristi lee said...

ahhhhhh, sniff, sniff...memories. glad ya'll had a great time together.

Melis said...

Oh my goodness- I am totally laughing again as I read this! I had so much fun today. And your wish is totally coming true! Btw- the tattoo has already come off...