Monday, April 14, 2008

My newest favourite waiter


Ode to Jacob at the Sugarhouse Olive Garden.

Okay, for ANYONE that has EVER eaten with me - you know how particular I am about what I eat. Not in terms of caloric intake - just one glance at my ass lets you know I could give a care - but about taste, and what I think I'll like, and what I KNOW I won't. Needless to say, I'm less than adventurous when it comes to food. (Girls from college, back me up on the Salad, Cucumber sandwiches, cantaloupe, and Hi-C I lived on the entire first year).

I was a bit skeptical about going to the OG Garden tonight with my friend Jen, knowing that my favourite dish was no longer available (and yes...i called ahead just to be sure).

We arrive, are seated, meet our waiter (quite cute actually) named Jacob. Order Drinks. Then he asks if we're ready to order. I tell him I have a really high maintenance question, Jen basically tells him to brace himself because yes...it's high maintenance. So...I just preface the story with how much I fell in love with the Steak Asiago and he looks at me and simply says...Oh I can still make that for you! I literally almost mounted him on our table. Seriously.

2 and 2 later (Chuck Woolery fans of the world unite!) he comes back with the bad news. They can't make it because they're out of the glaze. POUT! And then proceeds to recommend things for me. This is all well and good for an adventurous eater - now I have to explain my dilemma. I'M JUST NOT THAT GIRL! He lets me taste the marsala sauce on a dish he WHOLEHEARTEDLY recommends (I thought it tasted like gravy - and was making the SICK get this away from me face when he returned). So I went with the next best thing. I have to admit he was quite proud that I didn't just go with the Salad/Soup combo - Pasta Figioli - the old standby I love....BEFORE said Steak Asiago. I ended up going with the Gorgonzola-Alfredo Beef (or something like that). It was "okay". But really - nothing was going to top my FAV!

Seriously, Jacob - who I asked his permission to blog about - was the kindest, most patient waiter in all of creation. Yes he poked a little fun at me, but all in all - it was a great night. My friend Jen and I had GREAT conversation about boys and their stupidity. I even boxed up my leftovers to take home - which I, of course, left on the table. Jacob, if you're reading this....it wasn't to let you know I hated the dish. I just always box up leftovers and leave them behind.

Never fear this will be the final word on Steak Asiago. I admit I've been obsessed. And now - back to the gym I go. eh...tomorrow!

4 comments:

Jan said...

Jacob sounds awesome -- a change from the kind of waiters we usually end up with. Yay for him!

Unknown said...

yoyo, word to sugarhouse olive garden. that was my place of employment in college. i can still hardly step foot back in that place without having waitressing flashbacks. ack!

Hayley said...

i'm so glad that jacob rocked the house. i wish you would've mounted him though, just for funs! hehehe. remember our lezzy girlfriend last time we were there? with the cute haircut? ah good times!

Jori said...

I hate when places discontinue the stuff I like. I have a routine too. I order the same thing wherever I go. I really need some dinner with you and Hayley. Next time I'm up. thanks for making me giggle. My bum show's I'm not walking around with my calorie calculator too.;)